Topic: 1940 convertible top

sarahcecelia    -- 07-16-2017 @ 7:56 PM
  Mike "Kubes"- My 1940 had no hoses to the canesters when I bought it. It did have the hose from the motor vacuum, and it is plugged at the dash operating valve.(1) I understand that the tubing for the '40 top vacuum is 1/4" Id?Is that correct? (2) How many feet do I need for the tubing from the operating valve to do all of the rear? (3) Do the cannisters usually work okay after all these years? (4) Which port from the dash operating valve goes to motor vacuum. (5) Which port goes to the top of the canesters. (6) Which port goes to the botom of the canesters? I also purchased the (2) tees that go in the rear under the seat.I have a diagram of the routing of the hoses, but it is not clear enought to show the answers to these questions I have posed to you, Mr. '40 Ford Guru.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-17-2017 @ 6:54 AM
  ARGGHH! I just noticed this post (only after) replying to your post in regard to raising / lowering the top.
No hoses (currently) to the canisters would cause me concern and I'd hazard a guess, they (canisters) don't work at this time. A quick test would be to hook up a vacuum source to each nipple at each canister - one nipple at a time. If you choose to teat them in this way, lower the top after disconnect the upper yoke from the top mechanism. Tube diameter is 5/16". I'm not certain off the top of my head how many feet of tubing are required. The tubes ran along the torque tube hump in the floor and branched off beneath the rear seat. Your diagram illustrates that clearly.
There is one nipple on one side of the authentic operating control and two on the opposite side. If I recall correctly, the forward nipple gets connected to lower nipples of the canisters. The rearward nipple to the upper nipples of the canisters. The single nipple of the control is connected to your vacuum source. There is a brass "T" in the wiper vacuum tube beneath the instrument panel where a larger diameter tube is adapted to route to the control.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-17-2017 @ 7:58 AM
  Mike "Kubes," Tube diameter- is that I.D or O.D. ??

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-17-2017 @ 8:03 AM
  ID

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 08-06-2017 @ 11:44 AM
  The vacuum hoses on my '39 conv cpe, which has basically the same system as a '40 are a very heavy walled 1/4 ID rubber hose. The OD of the hose is over 5/8". The lines running from the engine compartment, through the cowl and up to their juncture with the switch and then down the quarter panel, along the door sill under the sill plate and into the rear area adjacent to the vacuum cylinders is 3/8" steel.
I would venture a guess that the steel lines are 3/8" to carry added volume, similar to those used on the Columbia rear ends. I would also surmise that the heavy walled hose was used to minimize flex within the line and thereby minimizing loss of vacuum strength..

Just remembered that I have a copy of the 1940 Ford Motor conv top parts list,

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 8-6-17 @ 12:01 PM

wmsteed    -- 08-06-2017 @ 12:06 PM
  Attached you will find a copy of the 1940 Ford Motor Company convertible top parts list.
I had forgoten I had the parts list and drawing showing the entire top assembly until just recently.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 08-06-2017 @ 1:27 PM
  Bill (wnsteed),
If you have vacuum hoses on your '39 convertible coupe, then something is amiss as NO '39 convertible coupe had a power assisted top assembly.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

39 Ken    -- 08-07-2017 @ 5:32 AM
  Kube,
Minor correction. Many '39 cv's had power assisted tops.
Just not Ford... ;>))
I've seen Bills "39" and it is a beauty!
Ken

This message was edited by 39 Ken on 8-7-17 @ 5:40 AM

kubes40    -- 08-07-2017 @ 11:03 AM
  39Ken, You are of course correct in that cars, other than Ford, offered power assisted convertible tops in 1939.
I made the mistake of thinking that because this is a Ford V8 site and the thread was in direct regard to 1940 Ford tops, we were on "subject" and referring to Fords.
So what make of car is his '39?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 08-08-2017 @ 7:39 AM
  I think wmsteed also owns a 39 Plymouth convertible.

39 Ken    -- 08-10-2017 @ 4:09 AM
  Mike, We've been outta town for a few and couldn't answer.
TJ is correct.
Ken

sarahcecelia    -- 08-12-2017 @ 8:15 AM
  Bill, where did you get that copy of the convertible top info? I'd like to have one for my '40.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-12-2017 @ 8:26 AM
  Bill, I tried to copy the schematic of the 1940 cinvertible top parts from your the url in your forum message, but it only printed the left side with all the numbers on it.Would you be so kind as to email it to me so i can copy it, or send your address so I may send you a stamped addressed envoelope to you for a copy? Steve Lee, slee001@tampabay.rr.com, or 352 666 9916. Thank you so much! Steve

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 08-14-2017 @ 7:07 AM
  That drawing came out of the 1940 Body Parts Catalog. I posted one in another post a couple of months ago. If you need it, search in this Forum for it.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10982