Topic: 1940 convertible top lowering

sarahcecelia    -- 07-16-2017 @ 3:05 PM
  Mike "Kubes"- Would you be so kind as to list the steps to put my top down, and the steps to put it up manualy? I have never put it down and am not sure if I could do it without damaging something. Thank you!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-17-2017 @ 6:28 AM
  By the wording of your question, I assume the automatic mechanism does not work. I will answer with that being the assumption.
Lowering / raising the top is a pretty straight forward process.
1) Lower the side (door) windows. 2) Unzip the rear window "flap" and fold it in to the top well. 3) Unsnap the snaps above the door windows and directly behind the "B" pillar. 4) Unhook the three clamps at the front bow.
If in fact the automatic mechanism does not work, I suggest you get a helper to lower the top. That way, you will avoid any twist to the top mechanism - one person on each side.
5) Fold the assembly rearward and fold (carefully) in to the top well. I say "carefully" as you'll want to avoid any sharp folds of the material or pinching at the numerous pivot points of the mechanism.
6) Once the top is folded in to the well, the top boot should be installed.

If the automatic mechanism works, you can easily do this operation by yourself. same procedure and once again, I suggest you fold the top in to the well carefully - avoiding sharp creases and pinch points.

On a "side note" it is wise to leave the top in the lowered positon for no more than the day you are using it. It will shrink a bit and creases in the material are part & parcel of the cloth top.
IF you leave it down too long, raise it (carefully) and allow it to "stretch" a bit vs. forcing the clamps to pull too much.
Wrinkles can often be steamed out or if no steamer is available, once the top is completely in the "up" position, bring the car in to the sun and wet the top as necessary.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-17-2017 @ 7:04 AM
  Again, Thank you so much Mike! Your responses to my questions are very appreciated, by not only me, but those others on he forum that need that information I'm sure.It's quite a proceedure! I'm going to write it down and put a copy in the glove box and a copy in my "1940 Notebook."

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10981