Topic: My 19 40 Deluxe Convertible V8 motor

sarahcecelia    -- 07-16-2017 @ 2:44 PM
  No pencil rest on mine, It's a 59AB. It also has an "A" on the rear area of the left head.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-17-2017 @ 6:58 AM
  Hi again Steve,
Might I suggest you include within any singular post all information that may be relevant to any advice you seek?
My answers typically are based on an authentic '40 Ford. Things like an improper engine can most certainly change the advice I and others might offer.
If you think of something that may be relevant you can edit the original post and add that information.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-17-2017 @ 7:07 AM
  The "No pencil Rest" was not just a statement, but a request for affirmation.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-17-2017 @ 8:05 AM
  The pencil test is one quick way of narrowing down the year of an engine block. If the pencil won't sit there, it is a later block.
A correct 40 block will have a flat surface just below the valve cover. that's another thing to look for.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-17-2017 @ 2:16 PM
  Mike, P.S I always try to include any and all info that is relevent when I ask a question; For example if I were to ask about something to do with the dash I would state that it is a 1940 Ford, Deluxe, because I know from the forum that the standard and the Deluxe were not only other colors, but also had different chrome strips on them, and possibly some other incidental differences. If I err in doing this as a "Newbe" to the 1940 Fords, I would expect the person that replied to ask for any info I might have forgot to enter, or just left out by mistake in order for them to give me the right answer, but I do appreciate your comment(s).

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-17-2017 @ 5:17 PM
  Steve,
I understand completely. My comment in regard to including all pertinent information is based on offering a concise response without possibly adding any unnecessary confusion.
A "newbie" you say? That's fine. By your posts, it appears you are learning rapidly - I commend you.
Heck, I am still learning.
Heck, you may have noticed Alan and I "pick on" each other now and then but I believe we have both learned from one another.
Especially him

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-18-2017 @ 2:13 PM
  Thanks for the compliment Mike! I ask a lot of questions from people "in the know," that's how I learn the stuff that I don't know, or I'm not sure of. Now if it comes to a VW , I have all the answers; but that's not what were doing now! We're doing those fabulous old Fords!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-18-2017 @ 3:46 PM
  I sold a pair of '57 VW Beetles earlier this year. Both had that soft "sunroof". Two cars and TONS of extra parts. It was amazing to me how the guy that bought the stuff knew exactly what parts were valuable and why, etc. Very interesting indeed.
By the way, all the stuff and cars went to Mexico.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-21-2017 @ 3:59 PM
  Mike, A '57 VW beatle had the split rear window and if I remember correctly, that was the first year it was imported. They had the 36 H.P, motor where the generator stand was cast with the right half of the crankcase, and the trans. was not fully sychronized; That didn't happen until until 1961. '57 is a very rare beatle and commands a high price! I hope you got a good price for (2) and a lot of parts! The cars alone would sell for about $20,00 each if they are complete.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-22-2017 @ 6:51 AM
  I was very surprised and pleased at what the cars and parts realized. I'd purchased all the stuff out of a local estate for $500. Not knowing anything about these early Beetles other than they are cool, I figured I should at least double my money for the effort. It worked out much better

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10979