Topic: 40 Ford convertible top iron adjustments

Mace    -- 07-13-2017 @ 5:47 PM
  Just completed installation of the top irons and bows on my 40 ford convertible. Now, I need to know how to make alignment adjustments so that the top will close properly.
Thanks
Mace

kubes40    -- 07-14-2017 @ 6:26 AM
  AH! There are no instructions in any book or such that I am aware of. You'll pretty much need to figure this one out on your own.
My advice?
Do not connect the top canisters at this time.
Have the front wood top bow where you want it on the cowl header. Also, have the rear (wood) bow where it is specified to be.
Work the assembly from there.
Adjustment points are where the bow (each side) is fastened to (pivots on) the inner body structure. That point of contact can be altered in and up and down direction.
Directly at the top of the B pillar there is a long screw that can also be adjusted. This will allow the frame area over the side window(s) to be moved both fore and aft. Note that when you move this frame work fore and aft, it will also raise / lower respectively.
I'd suggest you have the side windows installed properly and in the "closed" position. That way, you can maintain the proper clearance around them (window frames).
The center bows can't really be moved and truly, there is no need to IF the front and rear wood bows are where they need to be. That is why I suggest strongly that you have them ion place prior to making adjustments and make certain they remain ion place while doing those adjustments. You should not have to force the top to "fit" when it is adjusted correctly.
By coincidence, I am currently fitting the top mechanism to my body. Even after as many as I have done, there is no "magic" involved. At east none I am aware of. Patience helps - a lot.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Mace    -- 07-14-2017 @ 7:51 PM
  thanks. Will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10972