Topic: Throttle control

whyforjim    -- 07-05-2017 @ 9:18 AM
  1940 Deluxe, 85 HP.
Throttle control knob on the dash. Is this supposed to operate such that when one pulls it out it should stay in place where one pulled it out to, or is it supposed to automatically return to a fully pushed in position when one lets go of it? I would have thought that it would operate like the choke knob - stays where one pulls it out to.

kubes40    -- 07-05-2017 @ 11:41 AM
  It should stay in the position you leave it in. Typically the dash grommet becomes worn and will no longer grasp the throttle rod as designed.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc    -- 07-05-2017 @ 12:38 PM
  Just curious Mike - is the grommet you are referring to a user-friendly-serviceable part #18-14605? Any tips/concerns on replacement for whyforjim (and quite frankly all of us uninformed on this subject) assuming this to be the case? If not the case is the only resolve to go the entire used assembly route?

Steve

sarahcecelia    -- 07-07-2017 @ 5:41 PM
  Mine on my '40 works fine, but I have to push the gas pedal down to near the rpm's I want and then pull out the throttle to that spot. Then, if you want a few more rpm's just push the gas pedal a little and pull the throttle a little to that new spot.It won't work by just pulling on the throttle, there is to much return spring pressure for that to work.Try it that way.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-08-2017 @ 10:37 AM
  Steve, The part I am referring to is installed within the instrument panel. Carpenter part #91A-9719. It can be easily replaced.
These wear out and over time become hardened as well and will no longer "grip" the shaft of the throttle knob control.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc    -- 07-08-2017 @ 1:46 PM
  Thanks Mike

Steve

sarahcecelia    -- 08-20-2017 @ 8:15 AM
  Mike, Mine worked, but were a little loose, so after reading the post about them not holding, I bought those rubber grommets that mount in the dash and installed them. It was pretty easy, but my radio was out. If you have a radio it would be really tough to do without removing it first!They have so much tension that you have to really pull on them to set choke or throttle! I think it is best to get the rev's you want and then set the throttle, so your not having to pull against the spring on the accelerator. I am sure that they were designed that way so they hold good.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-20-17 @ 8:17 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 08-20-2017 @ 2:43 PM
  Mike, I know the part your referring to, and I replaced mine. Easy fix, being I had the radio out to install the new volt gauge.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10931