Topic: Rear end ratio, stamped location 1940 ford

thunder road    -- 06-02-2017 @ 10:48 AM
  Can someone tell me exactly where to look for the rear end ratio stamping, on the rear of a 1940 ford. Also Mike, am I correct to understand that their is a total of sixteen grease fitting, not seventeen? AS stated only one for the shift linkage under the hood. Plus the two in the center of the transverse spring. Also what kind of grease would you recommend for the springs?

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 6-2-17 @ 10:54 AM

kubes40    -- 06-02-2017 @ 11:29 AM
  Yep, sixteen total. I goofed - plain and simple. Sorry
The springs used a lubricant specifically designed for them. I had a pail of it years ago. It reminded me of the old STP oil treatment. Remember that? Almost like a VERY thick oil.
I've posted a photo that should help you find the numbers you are searching for. The flat boss just above my arrow (green tape) is where they were stamped.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

CharlieStephens    -- 06-02-2017 @ 12:01 PM
  I am not sure why you would want to know the rear end ratio your car had when it left the factory. I think I would be more interested in what is in there now.

Charlie Stephens

thunder road    -- 06-02-2017 @ 5:59 PM
  Hey Charles, the reason for wanting to know the correct rear end ratio in my 1940 ford, is because I am in the middle of ordering a N.O.S speedometer gear and housing that mounts on the tail section of the transmission, and the speedometer cable screws into this housing. The parts man requested the ratio, so he can sell me the proper ratio gear and housing . If not done correctly, your speedometer will be off , and the cops will be after you . With a closed drive shaft, I can't count how many revolutions it has with one complete turn of my wheel. Thanks to Kube"s for the location details. My car's rear is stamped 9.34 so I believe that's about 3:70 to one. And that also feels about right when I drive the car. This particular ratio requires a 19 tooth gear, and housing. Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 6-2-17 @ 6:09 PM

fortyford    -- 06-04-2017 @ 5:52 PM
  That would be a 3.78 which is pretty much the stock ratio for a 40.

thunder road    -- 06-05-2017 @ 5:01 PM
  Hey forty ford, thanks for the info. These sites are the best! Back when their was no internet it was just getting to speak to the owners at big shows. I saw a picture of the backrest of the seat in a 40 coupe like the one I have, in the up position and was blown away. What a design ! Now I know where the rum runners put the alcohol tank. After you install the tank and hidden filler you install a stationary four door front seat . Then you only need a drain, and a heavy screen door spring mounted between the rear transverse spring with a clevis so you can adjust, and release pressure when you are running dry for proper ride height. Dom

Domenic

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10818