Topic: Brake Pedal Travel

JayChicago    -- 04-27-2017 @ 5:04 PM
  '40 Ford. I have about 2 inches of free travel at the brake pedal before I feel the brakes engage. The pedal is then about 4 inches off the floor. Is that about normal for these cars? That first 2 inches feels like a lot of movement under my foot, but maybe that's just because I am new to this, used to driving cars with swing pedals.

kubes40    -- 04-27-2017 @ 5:27 PM
  Jay,
That sounds like a bit too much to me. My cars, freshly restored, have a pedal travel of less than an inch prior to feeling some resistance.

My guess is you need to adjust (properly) the brake shoes at all four wheels.
Have you bled the system?

Also, make certain the rod between the master and brake pedal is not worn out at either end of the clevis. Check the pins as well. Any wear at any of those points will allow (exponentially) more travel at the pedal.

JayChicago    -- 04-27-2017 @ 7:14 PM
  Mike

I think I have the brakes adjusted pretty well, including centering the shoes in the drums. Have bled the system, and there's no sponginess.

I will look for lash at the master push rod. An invoice in the P.O.'s file indicates the master was replaced not long ago. But the push rod looks to me like it hasn't been touched since 1940, including decades-old dried grease on the pin. Maybe they replaced the master without adjusting the clevis. I'll scr*pe-off more old grease from this survivor, and see what I can see.

Thanks for the advice.

kubes40    -- 04-28-2017 @ 5:21 AM
  Good morning Jay,
It certainly sounds as if you are making all the correct "moves" to get the brakes functioning at their prime.

With all you've already accomplished, the betting money goes to wear at the rod end(s) and pin(s). I have never found any that did not require reworking or replacing.

By the way, how are the pedal bushings at the shaft?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10715