Topic: window regulator

jimoathome    -- 04-18-2017 @ 3:30 PM
  I have a 1940 deluxe. All of a sudden, the driver's side window "crank" wouldn't move, with the window fully down. Never had any problems prior. Took off the door panel, tried to move the crank "axle" with pliers, won't move. So I am assuming I need to replace the regulator, but don't want to attempt without studying a repair manual. Can't find a reprint body / assembly / repair manual. Know where I can find such a manual? Who make's a good replacement regulator?

ah - forgot - will update, new email is whyforjim@gmail.com

kubes40    -- 04-19-2017 @ 6:10 AM
  Jim,
I am unaware of any reproduction regulators being offered for a closed model. Is that what you have? Convertible regulators are reproduced by Drake but I have no idea if they are of good quality.
If you have a closed model, this leaves you with possibly two options. If in fact the axle" as you call it, has stripped, rebuild kits are often to be found on sites like eBay. Rebuilding a regulator is simple and only involves removing three rivets to access the parts that get replaced.
Another option? Find a replacement regulator. Again, eBay has them listed with some frequency. I'd prefer a NOS unit as you can then be certain it will function as designed.
In the meantime, I'd suggest you remove your regulator and figure out exactly what's wrong.
These are fairly good units and if they break, it is more often than not, that "axle" you describe.
Removing and replacing the regulator is easy on your car.
There are no manuals that describe this process.

One other thought: Was the regulator working until just recently? If so, check carefully that the window was not drawn down too far and got "jammed" at the bottom of the side track(s).

Hope this helps,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1940 Tom    -- 04-19-2017 @ 6:58 AM
  Good Morning, Jim---

As Mike wisely suggested, check out Ebay - I did a search under "1940 Ford window regulators". They have some listed for sale on the website.
I normally don't go to Ebay a lot to look for parts, but thought I would give it a shot - success!

Good luck with the regulator problem.

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-19-2017 @ 8:10 AM
  Since the regulator shaft won't move I suspect the regulator is jammed on something. The pinion gear may have sheared a tooth and jammed the unit. Rebuild kits are available, but be sure to check the main gear for any damage. If any teeth are missing from the main gear you will have to buy another regulator. be sure to get the correct regulator for your body style.

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 04-19-2017 @ 12:03 PM
  V8 Times Advertiser current issue page 108.
Regulator Roy. 609-828-8537. Window regulators NOS 1932-53

jimoathome    -- 04-19-2017 @ 3:01 PM
  Don't see anything jammed. In trying to turn the shaft, it will slip past its gears, without forcing the shaft, even with me trying to help the arms move, so I think the regulator needs to be replaced. Macs has some that look OK. Do you think you remove it by simply drilling out those three rivets holding it on? That's what images on Google search look like.

Jim

kubes40    -- 04-19-2017 @ 6:53 PM
  Jim, The regulator assembly is held in the door by a number of screws - five if I recall correctly.
If you are planning on rebuilding your regulator, I'd suggest you remove it, drill out the three rivets that fasten the crank gear and see what you have there. Rarely does the large steel gear "go bad". More often than not, it's the small gear at the end of what you call the "axle". That's soft steel (pot metal) and typically fatigues and fails.

shogun1940    -- 04-21-2017 @ 3:00 PM
  I have a couple of regulators for 25 dollars what is the length of the arms? Shogun1940@ hotmail.com

len47merc    -- 04-21-2017 @ 6:18 PM
  jimoathome - have been following your travails here and do not have personal experience with the '40 deluxe but spent quite a bit of time on this previously on my '47. While the specifics may be and likely are different, I learned a lot during the exercise that even Regulator Roy was unaware of. Perform a search on our Forum for 'All' dates for:

'window regulator'

and then look down to the 5th or 6th entry entitled '47 Merc Rear passenger window regulator'. You may find some insight there you are looking for on how to repair one and what parts may be available to perform the task. I checked earlier and the parts I then needed (small drive gear/shaft) are still available as well as for other years.

I ultimately did repair my locked-up original as described in the discussion thread referenced above and ended up also with two back-up regulator assemblies that looked identical in every aspect except one, that being the cup that covers the drive gear was tin-metal colored on one and copper-plated on the other. Both came from Regulator Roy as being correct for my car and he did not catch the variance nor was aware of it. The subtlety I found was that the gearing was different and it took more turns on one to raise the window than the other (can't remember which was which now). Turns out the Mercs were different from the Fords for these years (possibly multiple manufacturers, etc.) and somehow this nuance never was realized. Apparently the Merc MAY have been geared lower to make raising and lowering the window easier on the marketed upgrade from the Ford to Merc trim package.

I bring this up only to make you aware, should you choose the NOS/used replacement route versus repair, of what LOOKS correct may not BE correct and you should check not only the physical attributes of a NOS or used regulator but also the performance for consistency to what is known to be original on the car (if originality is a concern for you).

Hope this helps in some way - good luck!

EDIT - btw, the original problem that caused the pot metal shaft to break was found to be the window, from not being cycled for decades, had become very strongly stuck to the channel and someone years back had tried so hard to rotate the handle to open the window that the shaft broke. I too thought the regulator was locked up until I removed it and found the window firmly stuck in place.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-21-17 @ 6:54 PM

jimoathome    -- 04-25-2017 @ 11:55 AM
  Well, I took the whole thing out and looked it over. Teeth were fine. It had several bent parts: arms, the housing of the gear for the handle, the little rollers the window moves on at its bottom; adjusting screws out of adjustment; missing a machine screw; missing lock washers. I figure it got this way because someone prior to me had worked on it and had messed it up. It worked OK for the first 6 months I've had the car, then just gave up. Straightened everything out, couldn't find a machine screw that fit, so I tapped for a new one, lubed well, works fine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10690