Topic: 1946 Ford Super Deluxe??

rgfranko    -- 04-03-2017 @ 1:48 PM
  I just purchased a 1946 Ford car. My Ford has the round parking lights in the front under the head lights and also has a hole on the front of the hood for what I'm assuming would be a super deluxe hood emblem.
Most of the '46 Fords that I have saw in pictures have the square\rectangular parking lights on the hood and the super deluxe is under the drivers side head light. But I have saw a few pics of '46 Fords with the round parking lights and the super deluxe emblem on the front of the hood.
Mine resembles what most '47 or '48 Ford Super Deluxes look like.
My question is do I have a '46 with another years fenders and hood? Or do I possibly have odd '46 Ford Super Deluxe with round parking lights and hood emblem?

Thanks,
Rob

TomO    -- 04-04-2017 @ 7:47 AM
  Rob, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on becoming a flathead Ford owner.

Check the serial number to determine the year of your car here:

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

The V-8 Club 41-48 Book details the features of the different years of the Ford cars. You can purchase it from the Online Store on this website or on the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum website.

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/store.html

You could also post some photos (using one reply per photo) to get more detailed opinions.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-4-17 @ 7:48 AM

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 10:09 AM
  Tom, thanks for responding. The serial # on the title is 99A1090896.
I will also post some pics.

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 10:10 AM
  Front

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 10:11 AM
  Passages side

Drivers side

Rear of car

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 10:12 AM
  Interior

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 10:12 AM
  Back seat

len47merc    -- 04-04-2017 @ 2:41 PM
  If possible - a couple of the engine compartment? Thanks!

Steve

cliftford    -- 04-04-2017 @ 3:03 PM

Except for the parking lights, every feature that I can see is 1946 model year, which I am told extended into early 1947.

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 5:20 PM
  Engine compartment. It's a little rough but runs great.

ken ct.    -- 04-04-2017 @ 5:36 PM
  dist. , fuel pump ,and head bolts look to be 8BA engine , NOT 46-48 engine. Photos are turned sideways. omo ken ct.

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 7:12 PM
  More photos of engine

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 7:13 PM
  Engine

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 7:13 PM
  Engine

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 7:17 PM
  So Ken, you're saying possibly not the original engine?
The 8BA is more from 49-1950's?
Thank you for the input!

Rob

ford38v8    -- 04-04-2017 @ 7:37 PM
  Rob, A "serial number on the title" may or may not coincide with the actual number stamped into the frame. I hope you did confirm that yours do in fact match. The number you posted does match as being a '46 Ford, but always check the frame against the title.

While your engine is not original, serial numbers are not to be found on engines anyway, but rather, on the transmission bell, which would then be copied to the left front frame rail at the assembly line. You likely do still have the original transmission. Beautiful car!

Alan

rgfranko    -- 04-04-2017 @ 8:00 PM
  Alan,
Thanks! I will verify the serial # on the title to the one on the car.
The car belonged to my grandfather who passed away. He had all the work done to it and I'm really excited about having it. I'm just trying to find out what's original and what's not.
Rob

This message was edited by rgfranko on 4-4-17 @ 8:04 PM

ken ct.    -- 04-04-2017 @ 10:05 PM
  Definatly a 49-53 engine along with the oil fill breather tube at the front of engine. Pics are on the dark side hard to make out.I guess your grandpappy never told anybody he installed a later engine in it. Possible change in front clip to 47-48. Easy way to tell is side chrome on a true 46 has a diff. profile (edgewise) than a 47-48. good hunting. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 04-05-2017 @ 3:55 AM
  rgfranko - you indicate you want to determine what is original and what is not, which infers you may have a preference, 'plan' or 'vision' in mind for what you want to do with the car down the road in terms of maintenance, repairs and restoration vs. preservation (or both). Think the best advice you can follow is that of TomO's:

"The V-8 Club 41-48 Book details the features of the different years of the Ford cars. You can purchase it from the Online Store on this website or on the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum website."

With what you have indicated thus far in comments and photos you likely will get your high level and detailed answers more quickly and learn more - more quickly - by having the book and comparing your car in person to the book with the book in hand. If not you may likely find yourself 'shotgunning' questions and passing over other details we cannot see in photos.

Your car has definitely been 'modified' as you by now know and by reading each page of the book and comparing it and other data resources such as vanpeltsales.com to your car you will find more details and greater depth concerning originality than what can be gleaned from your photos. I can tell you from personal experience the book has been the singular most informative document I have and saved me from myself during the preservation process on my '47.

Strongly recommend you do this before turning the first screw, nut, bolt, etc.. If not, you may find something you do for reason 'A' (e.g., ensuring it is safe to drive in your understandable eagerness to get it on the road) may compromise something you wish to do down the road for reason 'B' (e.g., preserving as much of the originality of the car as possible).

Whatever you choose to do, if you do begin the wrenching process on the car earlier rather than later I strongly recommend you save EVERY fastener and part you remove and label and store it in an organized manner - you'll be glad you did.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-5-17 @ 2:33 PM

rgfranko    -- 04-05-2017 @ 5:32 AM
  Thanks Steve! I will pick up a copy of the book.

Rob

TomO    -- 04-05-2017 @ 8:06 AM
  Rob, that is a very nice driver quality car. You can enjoy it as it is or spend the money to install original type items, the choice is yours. Your car would be a welcome sight at a V-8 Club meet in the Touring Class just as it is, while you make up your mind about how to proceed.

The Club's 41-48 book will help you decide how much has been changed and parts catalogs like the Green Book will help you identify the part number of the parts that you may wish to purchase.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10651